Monday, January 15, 2007

Soli Deo Gloria!

I'd guess the majority of Reformed Christians are familiar with the Latin phrase "Soli Deo Gloria." Which in English we might phrase "to God alone be the glory." I really believe this phrase is at the very heart of Reformation Theology. The men who signed the 1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith also seemed to understand the concept very well.

In section three, of the third chapter, of the 1689 Baptist Confession we find the following statement:

"By the decree of God, for the manifestation of his glory, some men and angels are predestinated, or foreordained to eternal life through Jesus Christ, to the praise of his glorious grace; others being left to act in their sin to their just condemnation, to the praise of his glorious justice."

There's something I would like you to notice about the confession above. These Baptist forefathers saw predestination as a manifestation of God's glory! They understood that God should be praised for His grace in Salvation, as well as for His justice in the condemnation of the wicked. They saw both as being "glorious!"

Sadly, this is not the case with many leaders within the Baptist movement today. Today, truth such as is expressed above is met with outright hostility and disgust. It is usually denounced as being dishonoring to God instead of glorious and worthy of our praise.

Unlike some, I refuse to raise my voice against my Creator to judge and question Him and His decrees. I cannot define what brings glory to God based upon my flawed human sensibilities. God's ways are not my ways. Furthermore, I believe that I have no right to question God at all about any of these things! The Apostle Paul addressed this fact very well in Romans 9: 19-24.

Friends, I'll just have to disagree with some of our modern Baptist brothers, because I fully affirm this confession made by our forefathers in the 1689 Confession. Whatever God does: it is for His glory! Whatever God decrees: it is right! Whomever God has chosen to save: it is to the praise of His glorious Grace! Whomever God has chosen to leave in their sins: their condemnation is just, and it is to the praise of His glorious Justice!

No matter what: Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: